The Ward's Annotated Packing List for Travel to Vietnam
Packing list and suggestions for travel to Vietnam.
March, 1997 - HCMC and Nha Trang, Vietnam, 19 days
Clothes for Us:
- 2 pair shorts each - should have brought more 3-4 pair
- 1 pair light slacks - not jeans
- 4 shirts each
- 1 Jumper - need dress clothes for the giving and receiving ceremony
- 1 Vest - used to cover the camera and fanny pack straps to prevent theft- used only a couple of times
- 1 Swimsuit
- 1 light jacket - didn't need
- 2 bras - actually took 3 sports type bras - needed more- the one that dried quickly was very handy.
- 5 pair underwear each
- 5 pair of socks each - do need socks, but not 5 pr.
- 2 pair of shoes each (tennis, sandals)
- 1 pair of flip-flops or slippers each - didn't use
- 1 watch each
Clothes for Zach:
- 5 onesies
- 5 outfits - 2 for coming home
- 6 pair of socks - didn't use all 6 pr.
- light jacket - didn't need
- 3 hats
- 3 blankets
- 6 burp rags
- 2 washcloth/1 towel with hood
- baby brush
- baby nailclippers
Bathroom Supplies for Us:
- 2 toothbrushes
- 2 bars of soap - one was plenty, it is available in the market as well
- 4 disposable razors
- Small Shaving Cream
- 1 nail clipper/file/tweezers
- 1 bottle shampoo - No larger than 8 ounces.
- Towels - didn't need
- contact lens fluid and cleaner
- Extra case
- Extra contact lens
- 1 brush/comb
- 1 roll Toilet paper - didn't need
- Handiwipes - very important
- 1 small pkg tampons - bring twice as much as you think you'll need - NOT available there
- Alcohol pads
- 1 box Lysol Touch-ups - These came in very very handy.
Bathroom for Zach:
- 108 Huggies Supertrim size 2 - did not need more, but you can buy there.
- 2 large packages of wipies - too many, but they are not available there.
- diaper baggies - 6 pkgs of 20 each
- Baby wash - can use for shampoo and washing baby laundry
- Travel set of baby lotion, oil, powder.
- Changing pad
- nasal aspirator
Food for us: - generally didn't need any food - Peanut Butter and Broccoli Cheese cup of Soup was nice but not needed.
- Granola Bars
- Cup of Soup mixes
- Cups - not needed
- Paper Plates - not needed
- Forks - not needed
- Gatorade mix - used this a lot
Food for Zach:
- 1 can of powdered formula -
- Funnel - not needed
- Can Opener - not needed
- 1 16 oz. boxes rice cereal - bring small box of cereal, baby "choa" and fresh fruit to mash is readily available
- Salt (for dehydration) - not needed
- prune juice - good for constipation - not needed
- 2 spoons - the rigid handles were perfect for opening the metal tops of formula cans as well.
- bowl with cover
- 2 playtex bottles, 300 liners, various nipples - needed only about 120 liners, do not bring orthodontic nipples, kids all liked Evenflo type nipples at first and switched to standard playtex nipples eventually. Get high flow or older baby nipples.
- 2 Evenflo - Playtex nipple adapters - should have brought about 4-6.
- bottle brush
- 3 pacifiers and clip - for the sake of airplane flights, I tried, but he did not take to it. Used clip to attach toy to shirt when on the go.
- 3 small bibs
- 1 Sippy cup with lid - didn't need
Medicine for us:
- Benadryl- didn't need
- Tums- didn't need
- Ex-lax- didn't need
- Imodium AD- didn't need
- Athlete's Foot Medicine- didn't need
- Presciption Medicine
- Yeast Infection Medicine
- Pepto Bismal Tablets - very helpful, I used instead of Immodium
- 30% DEET Repellent- didn't need, although there were mosquitoes, it was too hot and sticky to use repellent.
- Antibiotic (Cipro) - didn't need
- Anti-Nausea Med - Prescription- didn't need
- Cough Drops
- Rubbermaid Box for our meds - this box came in handy for lots of things.
Medicine for Zach:
- Baby Benedryl- didn't need
- baby sunscreen
- Texas Medical Kit - ordered this kit from an organization in Texas - included scabbies med, antibiotics, and Nix, etc. All of my group used something from it.
- baby anbesol- didn't need
- diaper rash med.
- Yellow triaminic- didn't need, but easily could have - BEST for baby colds.
- Baby Acetaminophen Drops- didn't need, but easily could have - BEST for baby fever
- Digital Thermometer- didn't need, but easily could have
Gifts: - didn't actually NEED any gifts
- Bath Items
- Bulls Pencils
- Books about Chicago
- Bulls Caps
- Red gift bags and wrap
- Donations for orphanage
- Books - didn't have much time for this except on long trip there.
- Video Camera
- 4 blank 8mm tapes
- Camera - smallest and best you can find, panoramic option would be a plus
- 12 rolls of film- 24 exp each - film is cheap and easy to find, 36 exp 200 speed = $3.00
- 2 Lead bags
- 1 panoramic disposable camera
- Toys - I brought 4. Zach got bored in no time. Take more and rotate them in and out.
- Copy of dossier/baby's papers
- passports and extra photos
- credit card and cash
- Photocopies of passports and visas
- Photocopies of Credit Card
- Phone numbers of doctor, senators, agency, family, consulate
- Addresses of friends to write to.
- Vietnamese phrase book
- Vietnam and Bangkok guidebooks
- ZIPLOC bags - lots - all sizes
- Sling (or snuggli)
- Alarm clock
- International plug set and converter- didn't need
- Travel Clothes line - VERY IMPORTANT!!
- Small sheet of bubble wrap
- Small photo album of us! - bring a small photo of your family if you have one. The Vietnamese I met always wanted to know if I had other kids.
- Travel journal
- large envelopes- didn't need
- Avery labels- didn't need
- Swiss Army Knives
- Sewing kit - used a needle in the kit to enlarge nipple holes.
- Top Sheet
- dish detergent - used for washing bottles, clothes, and hands.
- sponge- didn't need
- flashlight and batteries
- scotch tape
- Small scissors
- rubber bands - just like the ziploc bags, these were Essential
- Fanny packs
- Money belts and pockets
- Coil Heater w/metal cup - didn't need, but the metal container was ideal for using the boiled water (provided by the hotel) to heat cold bottles.
- Hot Water Thermos- didn't need
- locks and tags
- A stroller (bought a Great one there for $20)
- Washcloths (NONE of the 3 hotels we stayed in had them).
- Dan: 1 large suitcase (come back after one week with souvenirs, clothes, toiletries, film used, and stuff I don't need)
- Video camera
- Kim: 1 large suitcase
- 1 Large soft side duffle bag
- Backpack (func. as diaper bag)
Shots we got:
- Hep A and B
- Polio booster (shot)
- Typhoid (oral series)
- Tetanus booster
You can meet the Ward's son Zachary in the FCV Photo Gallery.
Back to: Vietnam Travel